Casey McKinnon is a professional actress and producer working primarily on the Los Angeles stage, and known worldwide for starring in a number of viral videos.
She launched her theatre career in 2014 playing a gender-bent Guildenstern in Hamlet Max at the Hollywood Fringe Festival, and later that year played Lady Stutfield in Oscar Wilde’s A Woman of No Importance at Sacred Fools Theatre. In 2015, she played German journalist Grete in Donald Margulies’ Sight Unseen at The Lounge Theatre in Hollywood’s historic Theatre Row, gaining critical praise as a “sassy delight.”
In 2007, she made her big screen debut in independent western film Six Reasons Why working opposite Colm Feore (The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Thor, The Chronicles of Riddick), and has lent her elven features to roles in ElfQuest: A Fan Imagining and Elf Sabers.
Best known for her extensive web series career dating back to 2005, she has earned a number of awards, and accumulated millions of followers online. Her two best known series, sci-fi comedy show Galacticast and comic book review show A Comicbook Orange, went viral multiple times, receiving over 13 million views. She has written about her experience as a web video producer for The Guardian, spoken on panels at conferences including South by Southwest (SXSW) and the San Diego Comic-Con, appeared as a guest on TableTop with Wil Wheaton, produced and directed Sony’s official San Diego Comic-Con coverage, and promoted STEM education by playing a female engineer in NASA’s official YouTube series IRrelevant Astronomy.
She holds a BA degree from McGill University and has studied Shakespeare at Antaeus Theatre under the mentorship of actor Armin Shimerman (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Meisner technique with acting coach Iris Klein, and improv at Hollywood’s renown IO West theatre.
Whatever time she has left is probably spent running lines with Wolfie by her side, watching sci-fi and period TV series, or playing video games. A huge supporter of micro-loan organization Kiva, she has also led charity fundraisers for Child’s Play and Movember.
- BBC News: What to watch on the web
- Complex.com: Casey McKinnon Interview
- Montreal Gazette: In a galaxy not so far, far away…
- Gigaom: Casey and Rudy on Making Galacticast
- Tubefilter: ‘A Comicbook Orange’ Is Back For Star-Packed Season 3
Also featured in The Hollywood Reporter, and on Electric Playground.
- 2012: IAWTV Awards - Nominated for two awards for "A Comicbook Orange"
- 2010: Clicker Awards - Winner of Best Web Non-Fiction for "A Comicbook Orange"
- 2010: Streamy Awards - Nominated for Best Hosted Web Series for "A Comicbook Orange"
- 2007: Parsec Awards - Nominated for three awards for "Galacticast"
- 2006: Vloggie Awards - Winner of five awards for "Galacticast" including Best Entertainment (Fiction)
Copyright © 2015 Casey McKinnon. All rights reserved.