Casey McKinnon is a professional actress and producer best known for her groundbreaking work in the web series industry. She made her film debut in independent western Six Reasons Why, working alongside actor Colm Feore, and works on series filming in the US and Canada.
She began her career in October 2005 with the launch of her first web series Kitkast, which quickly shot to the top of the iTunes podcast charts. In May 2006, she launched sci-fi sketch comedy show Galacticast which garnered many awards and went viral with episode “Heat Fozzy” getting over 1.5 million views, while the complete series obtained over 13 million views. In June 2007 she launched A Comicbook Orange and licensed the comic book review show to Next New Networks (now YouTube Next Lab) for two seasons. The show relaunched independently in 2009, and in 2010 she produced Project: Comic-Con for Sony, which streamed in the PlayStation Store and on the PlayStation YouTube channel.
Casey starred as Brownberry in the screen adaptation of ElfQuest and has appeared in several web series, including BlackBoxTV, Geek Therapy, and Break.com original series Elevator. She has also appeared as a guest on Wil Wheaton’s TableTop, TWiT‘s NSFW Show, and cult hit Pure Pwnage‘s spin-off show Pro at Cooking. Check out her IMDB page for more credits.
In August 2007, she started writing about her expertise in web video by contributing to The Guardian (UK). She has written about the legal struggles of independent web video content creators to build a solid industry, and the need to develop community and business models to overcome the clash of traditional media. She often speaks about her experiences at conferences, including the South by Southwest (SXSW) conference and the San Diego Comic-Con.
A graduate of McGill University with a BA in East Asian Studies, McKinnon also has a diploma in Communications (Film) from Dawson College, studied Meisner technique with acting coach Iris Klein and improv at IO West in Hollywood. Whatever time she has leftover is probably spent memorizing lines with Wolfie, tending to her urban garden, or playing video games. A huge supporter of micro-loan organization Kiva, she has also led charity fundraisers for Child’s Play and Movember.
- BBC News: What to watch on the web
- Complex.com: Casey McKinnon Interview
- Montreal Gazette: In a galaxy not so far, far away…
- Gigaom: Casey and Rudy on Making Galacticast
- Tubefilter: ‘A Comicbook Orange’ Is Back For Star-Packed Season 3
Also featured in The Hollywood Reporter, and on Electric Playground.
- 2012: IAWTV Awards - Nominated for two awards for "A Comicbook Orange"
- 2010: Clicker Awards - Winner of Best Web Non-Fiction for "A Comicbook Orange"
- 2010: Streamy Awards - Nominated for Best Hosted Web Series for "A Comicbook Orange"
- 2007: Parsec Awards - Nominated for three awards for "Galacticast"
- 2006: Vloggie Awards - Winner of five awards for "Galacticast" including Best Entertainment (Fiction)
Copyright © 2014 Casey McKinnon. All rights reserved.