DS9 episodes to watch before Season 3!
The other day my friend Neha Tiwari tweeted the following:
I really want to go home and watch some DS9 now...I know the first season isn't that great,is season 3 where it picks up? (remind me tweeps)
— Neha Tiwari (@Nehalia) May 18, 2012
Since I just finished re-watching Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on Netflix, I know quite a bit about the series and understand Neha's desire to start with season three because that is where the series really picks up. Overall, DS9 is the best Star Trek series to date, but in the first couple of seasons it suffered from too many Bajoran-based storylines and being overshadowed by its predecessor Star Trek: The Next Generation. Like any new series, it took some time to develop characters and come into its own, but by season three it had succeeded; DS9 raised the bar with epic three-episode story arcs and, after seven seasons, ended its run with a mind blowing, tear jerking ten-episode finale.
All that being said, I still feel it's important not to miss a few episodes from season one and two since they introduce some amazing cross-season storylines and feature recognizable guest stars you will enjoy. So, if you want to skip ahead like Neha, I made this helpful list to help you breeze through the first two seasons without feeling like you've missed anything.
- Emissary: Picard's in it and it's a truly excellently written pilot episode. Watch it.
- Q-Less: Q returns with Vash. As a TNG fan, you have to see it.
- If Wishes Were Horses: A fun episode where everyone's imagination becomes reality. I love the sexual tension between Dax and Bashir.
- The Forsaken: Lwaxana Troi FTW! Surprisingly touching and hilarious story with Odo.
- In the Hands of the Prophets: Season finale. Introduces you to the future evil of Kai Wynn. So evil. Seriously, would someone please kill this woman with fire?!
- The first three episodes are a full story arc that have a rather sexy Bajoran Steven Webber and Frank Langella.
- Invasive Procedures: Not the greatest episode, BUT it has Tim Russ (Lt. Tuvok from ST:VOY) and John Glover (Lionel Luther from Smallville) it it!
- The Alternate: Sweet Odo episode.
- Whispers: Great O'Brien episode.
- Blood Oath: First major Klingon episode.
- The Wire: Good Garak episode. One of the first episodes focusing on my favorite character!
- Crossover: The first mirror universe episode since ST:TOS!!! SOOOO AWESOME!
- The Jem'Hadar: The season finale that leads into the first two episodes of season 3.
Now, go watch them and feel free to let me know in the comments if I've missed any episodes... I'm just waiting for the wise guy that tells me I forgot to mention Move Along Home. I didn't.